FLexible Interchange Programme (FLIP)
Call status: Open
Application deadline: 15 October 2014, 4pm
Applications should be submitted by the advertised deadline via the Je-S system. Please refer to the 'How to apply' section below.
Our FLexible Interchange Programme (FLIP) supports the movement of people from one environment to a different one to exchange knowledge/technology/skills, developing bioscience research/researchers and addressing our strategic priorities.
FLIP awards provide flexible opportunities for individuals ("the interchangers") moving between different organisations, disciplines and sectors at all stages in their career beyond the PhD (or equivalent).
It is envisaged that approximately 20 awards will be supported per annum.
Awards will typically:
- last up to 24 months
- cost up to £150k in total at 80% fEC
- be undertaken on a full-time, part-time or intermittent basis
- cover a contribution to the salary of the interchangers, reasonable travel and subsistence and costs associated with the interchange
Applications outside these ranges will be considered with full justification.
FLIP aims to:
- enhance opportunities for the exchange of knowledge, technology and people between the research base and user communities and vice versa for economic and/or societal benefit
- facilitate the development of partnerships to foster longer-term collaborations, thereby maximising the impact of previously-funded BBSRC research
- allow for an expansion of the skill base of individuals, particularly in emerging, niche and vulnerable areas alongside our strategic priorities
Each FLIP proposal will only have one lead academic applicant.
Lead applicant must:
- satisfy our standard eligibility criteria as described in our grants guide (see related links)
- be a named investigator on the awarded BBSRC research grant connected to the proposed interchange
- have a PhD (or for non-academics the equivalent professional experience)
- upon commencement of the FLIP award, be employed by one of the organisations participating in the interchange, such as a research organisation, UK industry, policy making or charitable organisation
How to apply
Applicants are strongly encouraged to read all the background information provided, in order to fully address the requirements of this call, including:
You may need to download additional plug-ins to open this file.
Applications must be submitted using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system, see external links above. See also the 'Help text' document in application downloads above.
Applicants should select the following from the Je-S menus:
- Council: BBSRC
- Document Type: Standard Proposal
- Scheme: Standard
- Call: Flexible Interchange Programme (FLIP) - 15 October 2014
Application deadline : 15 October 2014, 4pm
Applications will be assessed at our Research Committee E meetings, then interviews (if required) will be held before funding decisions are announced about five months after the application deadline.
Some applicants may be invited to attend a discretionary interview subsequent to the assessment of applications.