Stage 1 – outline proposals
Call status: Closed
Next outline proposal deadline: 2015 TBC
How to apply
This call is closed to applications
Submit your proposal through the Research Councils' Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system by 4pm on the closing date (9 April 2014). Late applications will not be accepted.
Guidance on completing the outline submission can be found on the Je-S help.
The form is accessed by:
- Log into Je-S
- Select 'New Document'
- Select Council - 'BBSRC'
- Select Document Type - 'Outline Proposal'
- Select Scheme - 'Standard Outline'
- Select Call - 'Strategic LoLa Outlines - 9 April 2014'
Click 'Create Document' and follow the on screen instructions to complete the form.
Applications should not exceed the page limits described below. Submissions which exceed the page limits will be withdrawn.
Standard eligibility rules apply, as described in our grants guide (see related links). In addition:
- For applications falling outside the identified specific area of Industrial biotechnology and bioenergy (IBBE), applicants must have a track record of securing BBSRC funding as lead PI. This should be at least 3 competitively awarded BBSRC research grants over the past 10 years or an equivalent track record in an institute of BBSRC. Final report evaluations of these grants will be taken into account during the assessment process. Senior scientists returning to the UK from overseas must have an equivalent track record. (Please note: BBSRC Research Equipment Initiative grants, studentships, outlines and awards that have not been competitively awarded will not be considered as part of the applicant's BBSRC track record)
- To further encourage applications within IBBE, Principal Investigators applying in this area who do not meet the formal track record requirements above will be considered eligible provided they can clearly explain how their previous experience demonstrates the appropriate competence to conduct the proposed project
- The principal investigator must commit at least 8 hours per week on the sLoLa project
- The principal investigator must not already be lead PI on an existing LoLa or sLoLa (unless the grant is in its final year)
All proposals must be within our remit. We encourage multidisciplinary proposals but we strongly advise potential applicants to contact us beforehand to discuss the application if aspects of the proposal are outside of our remit.
The following attachments must be included:
- Case for support (see below)
- CVs of all applicants, maximum 2 pages per applicant
- The PI's CV should include the applicant's grant funding track record (up to the past 5 years) and outline the involvement of the applicant in those grants
- CVs of Co-Investigators should contain the top 5 relevant papers only
No other attachments, e.g. covering letter, letters of support, etc, will be accepted.
At a minimum, font size 11 in Arial or other sans serif typeface of equivalent size to Arial font size 11 must be used for the entire Case for Support and CVs (excluding text on diagrams and the use of mathematical symbols). In addition, a minimum of single line spacing and standard character spacing must be used, with margins of no less than 2cm.
sLoLa Case for support format
The case for support (maximum 6 sides of A4) should be submitted as a single document containing each of the sections described below. The page limits refer to each separate section and may not be combined.
Section 1: Strategic case: Up to one page
- State the relevance of the proposed research to the BBSRC mission and strategic priorities and to the priorities of the applicants' institution(s)
Section 2: Science case: Up to two pages
- A clear statement of the problem being addressed
- State 3-5 clear objectives. These must appear unchanged in the full proposal unless feedback from the Strategic LoLa committee requests otherwise
- Outline how the problem will be tackled
Section 3: Social and economic impact plus skills and capability case: Up to one page
- What is the likely social and economic impact over the timescale of the project?
- How will the project address training needs and the development of skills?
- Is there an anticipated industrial contribution to the project? If so, at what stage of the project will this be realised and how will the industrial partner be engaged?
Section 4: Justification for strategic LoLa: Up to two pages
This should include:
- A statement on the need for a strategic LoLa rather than individual project grants, demonstrating a clear added benefit to funding this work as a single project
- A statement on project management, including, where appropriate, justification for a project manager
- A clear statement on the scientific and leadership role of the PI
- A statement on the contribution to the project of each named co-Investigator. This must include a clear time commitment for each Co-I
The proforma should include a summary of the resources requested. Detailed justification of this request is not required at the outline stage. It is expected that the resources requested in a full application, if invited, reflect those in the outline application.