Food security and land-use change
Belmont Forum and FACCE-JPI special opportunity for funding
Call status (type 1 proposals and type 2 pre-proposals): Closed
Call status (type 2 full proposals): Open
Full application deadline (invite only): 12 March 2014
Full type 2 applications will only be accepted from applicants who have been invited to do so following the pre-proposal stage.
Proposals are invited to this joint funding call of approximately €10.5M between the Belmont Forum and Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change Joint Programming Initiative (FACCE-JPI).
- To increase scientific understanding of the dynamic multiple scale interactions between food security and land use in the context of global change, and the consequences of these interactions for climate, ecosystems and social systems, including their economic and cultural dimensions
Funding will support researchers to cooperate in consortia consisting of partners from at least three of the participating countries, which must bring together trans-disciplinary teams with multi-stakeholder participation (policy makers, regulators, NGOs, communities and industry).
This 2013 call emphasises three fundamental topics:
- Land use change impacts on food systems
- Food systems dynamics as driver of land use changes
- Feedback loop interactions between land use change and food security dynamics
Proposals must integrate natural and social systems and must examine a variety of coupled interactions and feedbacks among relevant systems.
BBSRC, ESRC and NERC, under the auspices of the UK's Global Food Security Programme are funding the UK contribution to this call, of up to €1.75M, and expect to support UK participation in a total of approximately 5-8 projects across both project types.
Potential UK applicants should be aware that, in order to add value to existing strategic investments, some eligibility restrictions apply to UK biological/biotechnology and environmental researchers.
For BBSRC, only researchers eligible for BBSRC managed-mode funding are eligible as biological/biotechnology science lead or partner principal investigators (please refer to our grants guide in related links).
How to apply
- There is a 2-stage application process:
- The first stage is for type 1 proposals and type 2 pre-proposals. This stage is now closed to applications.
- The deadline for full applications is 12 March 2014. Full applications will only be accepted from applicants who have been invited to do so following the pre-proposal stage.
Full details are available on the Belmont Forum: FACCE-JPI link (see external links). Before applying, it is essential that you read the UK National Annex document (below).
Michelle Manning, NERC