Multidisciplinary Synthetic Biology Research Centres call 2
The call was developed by the RCUK Synthetic Biology Working Group, and BBSRC, EPSRC and MRC supported some recurrent costs alongside the capital monies received as part of the 2012 Autumn Statement. BBSRC is administering the call on behalf of the Councils.
Number of centres funded
Three new Synthetic Biology Research Centres at the University of Edinburgh, the University of Manchester and the University of Warwick.
- Develop and sustain a programme of internationally competitive synthetic biology research focused on strategic areas relevant to one or more industry sectors.
- Provide a strong collaborative culture and supportive physical environment to attract excellent scientists and engineers in the collective endeavour of multidisciplinary research relevant to synthetic biology.
- Drive advancement in modern research techniques to underpin synthetic biology.
- Lead the development of new technologies and methodologies.
- Provide the essential equipment and facilities required to enable adoption and uptake of synthetic biology approaches and, where appropriate, make this available to the wider community.
- Recognising the specific purpose and position of the SBRCs, and avoiding overlaps with other funded initiatives, contribute to an overall synthetic biology UK network that acts to integrate the full breadth of UK synthetic biology and offers outreach and exchange opportunities for academia and industry alike.
- Enhance the output of trained postdoctoral researchers and specialised technical staff.
To boost the national research capacity and diversify UK expertise, stimulating innovation and facilitating interfaces with industry and other key stakeholders.