You may need to download additional plug-ins to open
BBSRC is not responsible for the content of external websites
Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs)
Call status: Closed (opens 10 January 2014)
Application deadline: 1 May 2014
Call documentation will be available from 10 January 2014.
DTPs provide PhD training in research areas relevant to our remit and strategic priority areas. They also provide a breadth of professional development training opportunities to enhance students' capability and develop the world-class, highly skilled workforce the UK needs for its future.
Building on the success of the first call, we invite institutions or multi-institution collaborations to apply to the second call.
Number of awards and funding
- Up to 15 partnerships will be awarded
- Funding will support up to 250 four-year studentships p.a. for up to five intakes (from October 2015-19)
- DTPs will be awarded in the form of single profiled training grants
- Normal flexibility of Research Council training grants will apply, enabling institutions to part-fund studentships from other sources
- Funding for each four-year studentship will include £5k p.a. research training support costs, as well as student stipend and fees at standard Research Council levels
- Each student will take a three-month internship during their PhD, to experience working in an area not directly related to their PhD project
Applications may be submitted by eligible research organisations either individually or in collaboration, provided the research organisation(s) applying hold a minimum of £20M BBSRC research grant spend over the three year period from 2010/11 to 2012/13.
Non-eligible institutions/organisations may be included as 'Associate Partners' providing the partnership can demonstrate that there is significant added value/benefit to the inclusion of these 'Associate Partners' within the partnership. Further details will be available in the full call text.
BBSRC research grant spend from non-eligible institutions/Associate Partners will not count towards the minimum threshold.
We encourage multi-institutional bids and we anticipate that the majority of DTPs awarded will be multi-institutional.
Applications must be either institution-wide or multi-institutional, and a research organisation may only submit one application as lead applicant. DTPs must include at least one degree-awarding research organisation within the partnership.
Applications will be assessed in July 2014, which will include an interview with the management team of the proposed partnerships.
Announcements of funding allocation are likely to be made in October 2014.
How to apply
Call text, FAQs, and all accompanying documentation will be available by 10 January 2014.
We strongly encourage institutions to read the background information provided to better address the requirements of the call.
Applications must be submitted using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system.