You may need to download additional plug-ins to open
Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs)
Call status: Open
Application deadline: 1 May 2014, 4pm
DTPs provide PhD training in research areas relevant to our remit and strategic priority areas. They also provide a breadth of professional development training opportunities to enhance students' capability and develop the world-class, highly skilled workforce the UK needs for its future.
Building on the success of the first call, we invite institutions or multi-institution collaborations to apply to the second call.
Number of awards and funding
- Up to 15 partnerships will be awarded
- Funding will support up to 250 four-year studentships p.a. for up to five intakes (from October 2015-19)
- DTPs will be awarded in the form of single profiled training grants
- Normal flexibility of Research Council training grants will apply, enabling institutions to part-fund studentships from other sources
- Funding for each four-year studentship will include £5k p.a. research training support costs, as well as student stipend and fees at standard Research Council levels
- Each student will take a three-month internship during their PhD, to experience working in an area not directly related to their PhD project
- An additional £1,000 per student will be provided within the training grant
Applications may be submitted by eligible research organisations either individually or in collaboration, provided the research organisation(s) applying hold a minimum of £17.5M BBSRC research grant spend over the three year period from 2010/11 to 2012/13.
Non-eligible institutions/organisations may be included as 'Associate Partners' providing the partnership can demonstrate that there is significant added value/benefit to the inclusion of these 'Associate Partners' within the partnership. Further details will be available in the full call text.
BBSRC research grant spend from non-eligible institutions/Associate Partners will not count towards the minimum threshold.
We encourage multi-institutional bids and we anticipate that the majority of DTPs awarded will be multi-institutional.
Applications must be either institution-wide or multi-institutional, and a research organisation may only submit one application as lead applicant. DTPs must include at least one degree-awarding research organisation within the partnership.
Applications will be assessed on 9-10 July 2014, which will include an interview with the management team of the proposed partnerships.
Announcements of funding allocation are likely to be made in October 2014.
How to apply
Potential partnerships are strongly encouraged to read all the background information provided in order to fully address the requirements of the call, including:
- Call text (PDF 193KB)
- Key features (PDF 106KB)
- BBSRC research grant income and eligibility threshold (PDF 113KB)
- Frequently asked questions (PDF 133KB)
- Assessment criteria (PDF 28KB)
- Je-S guidelines for DTPs (PDF 113KB)
A set of attachments which should be completed for BBSRC Doctoral Training Partnership applications and uploaded with the Training Grant application are available on the BBSRC website, including:
- Cover letter and mission statement (DOCX 27KB)
- Portfolio agreement attachment (DOCX 74KB)
- Publications attachment (DOCX 32KB)
- Research funding attachment (DOCX 36KB)
- Performance indicators attachment (DOCX 28KB)
A set of frequently asked questions accompanying this call will be available soon and will be regularly updated.
Applications must be submitted using the Joint Electronic Submission (Je-S) system (see external links), see also the Je-S guidelines in application downloads above. Applicants should select the following from the Je-S menus:
- Council: BBSRC
- Document Type: Studentship proposal
- Scheme: Training grants
- Call/Type/Mode: Doctoral Training Partnerships 2nd Call
Application deadline: 1 May 2014, 4pm.
If you have any queries regarding the completion of the Je-S studentship application form, please contact the Je-S Help Desk, email: JeSHelp@rcuk.ac.uk, tel: 01793 444164 – staffed Monday to Friday 9am-5pm (excluding bank holidays and other holidays).
For other queries relating to the requirements of the competition, please see contact below.