BBSRC and NERC are working in partnership to explore opportunities for a new collaborative research and knowledge translation activity that will address key challenges surrounding sustainable agriculture.
Following extensive consultation with industry, the research community and policy makers, BBSRC and NERC are proposing that this industry-led initiative is structured around three interlinking themes:
- Driving predictive capability and modelling for food production
- Developing resilient food production systems
- Management and best practice to protect the environment while maintaining a profitable agricultural system.
A full report from these consultations can be downloaded here:
As a follow up to the consultation workshop held in February 2013, BBSRC and NERC will hold an industry only event on 14 October 2014 to present the proposed challenges that the collaborative programme could address, introduce the preferred funding model and refine the scope of the call for proposals.
How to register
Should your company wish to participate in this event, please contact Katie Tearall at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
BBSRC and NERC are working in partnership to develop a new collaborative research and knowledge translation activity that will address key challenges surrounding sustainable agriculture. This new activity will aim to:
- support high quality, innovative, basic research to underpin the UK industry in addressing significant challenges to future competitiveness
- drive innovation through effective knowledge translation between the science base and industry with consequent beneficial impacts on business performance, resilience and sustainability
- strengthen the research community in the areas of research and knowledge translation to underpin the long-term needs of industry through interdisciplinary research, the provision of training, and knowledge exchange
The research and knowledge translation supported through this new activity will span the remits of BBSRC and NERC.
An initial consultation workshop, to discuss the sustainable agriculture challenges faced by industry within the themes of water and nutrients was held on 20 February 2013. See the brief report from this workshop along with the presentations given, in the downloads section above.