BBSRC funds basic and strategic biological research, supports postgraduate training, promotes knowledge transfer and public engagement with science.
We are looking to appoint high-calibre, committed individuals from academic and industrial sectors to fill a number of vacancies on our Strategy Panels (Bioscience for Industry, Bioscience for Society, Bioscience Skills and Careers), Strategy Advisory Panels (Basic Bioscience Underpinning Health, Food Security), Follow-on Funding Panel and the Pool of Experts
The Panels play leading roles in the development and implementation of the Council's strategies, policies and priorities.
Specifically, we are looking for the following expertise:
- Expertise in agriculture
- Expertise in industrial biotechnology
- Small and medium enterprises representation from any industrial sector
- Experience in the field of bioethics, specifically in relation to issues and research relevant to BBSRC
- Experience in a senior role at a research organisation; it would be an advantage if the research undertaken by that organisation was relevant to BBSRC's remit
- Experience in a third sector organisation or public policy role in an area relevant to BBSRC's remit
- Industrial experience, preferably from the pharmaceutical sector
- Vaccinology: the individual should have experience in veterinary or human vaccinology (ideally both). It would also be valuable to have expertise in the new tools and technologies that underpin vaccinology research and development
- Experience in microbiology, relevant to basic bioscience underpinning health. Experience relating to anti-microbial resistance and industrial biotechnology (ideally both) would be particularly valuable, as would be experience of research of relevance to both human and veterinary systems
- Experience of the food industry
- Experience in research on gut-microbiome interactions
- Experience in physical activity research and its influence on health across the lifecourse
- Experience of the development and application of model systems relevant to basic bioscience underpinning health
- Experience that spans several of the areas highlighted above would be particularly valuable and welcomed
- Individuals in the scientific or research-user communities who have relevant expertise in the areas of (i) soils/agricultural systems or (ii) animal health/production
- Tools and devices
- The Pool of experts plays a key role in delivering BBSRC's mission through participation in the assessment of research grant proposals and the awarding of studentships and fellowships
- BBSRC has identified a number of vacancies within the Pool of Experts and would in particular welcome expressions of interest in the areas outlined on the Committee/Pool membership page
We are keen to obtain more diversity in appointments to BBSRC Panels and Committees which enable us to reflect all the communities we serve. We would therefore welcome a diverse range of candidates irrespective of gender, race, age, transgender, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation or disability.
Appointments will be for one year initially, with anticipated extension for a further two years.
Eligible members will receive an attendance fee of £170 per day, and have their reasonable travelling expenses reimbursed, for attending meetings of the Panel or Committee. Where applicable, BBSRC will consider the reimbursement of reasonable childcare or other carer costs and the reimbursement of reasonable additional expenses of disabled people as the direct result of attendance at a BBSRC meeting or other BBSRC approved business.
How to apply
Please complete the expression of interest form and equal opportunities form (see 'Application and guidance downloads' section below) and send the completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also see the guidance downloads for completing the expression of interest form and guidance for applying to Strategy Panels, Strategy Advisory Panels and the Pool of Experts.
Application and guidance downloads
- Expressions of interest form (DOCX 99KB)
- Equal opportunity form (DOC 190KB)
- Guidance for completing the Expression of Interest form (PDF 116KB)
- Guidance for applying to Strategy Panels (PDF 93KB)
- Guidance for applying to Strategy Advisory Panels (PDF 94KB)
- Guidance for applying to Core Committees and the Pool of Experts. (PDF 92KB)
The closing date for applications is Wednesday 3 July 2013.