Findings and recommendations
The findings of the synthetic biology public dialogue were published on 14 June 2010 at an event in London.
Six areas of the report were highlighted for further consideration and action:
- The uniqueness of synthetic biology
- The leadership and funding roles of the Research Councils
- Developing the capabilities for the scientists to think through responsibilities
- What innovation looks like under these circumstances
- Controlling the science
- Future dialogue
The report, and supporting materials, can be found below. Hard copies are available on request.
BBSRC and EPSRC have considered the report's recommendations and have now written to everyone who contributed to the Synthetic Biology Dialogue report setting out the actions the research councils will take in response. A copy of this response letter can be downloaded below.
- Synthetic biology dialogue methodology (PDF 158KB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue data collection and analysis (PDF 29KB)
- Synthetic biology topic guides (PDF 575KB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue workshop 1 (PDF 37KB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue workshop 2 (PDF 227KB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue workshop 3 (PDF 193KB)
Evaluators, Laura Grant Associates, have been involved in this dialogue from the outset. Their interim report covers the period to the launch of TNS-BMRB's report in June 2010. Their final report details findings from a 6 month follow-up study carried out to understand where the dialogue has had influence. Both reports are available below.
- Synthetic biology dialogue evaluation - Interim report (PDF 1.17MB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue evaluation - Final report (PDF 3.66MB)
- Supplementary material – high resolution figures (PDF 110KB)
In November 2010 BBSRC and EPSRC published a response to the recommendations of the dialogue and outlined the actions we planned to take. In May 2013 we published an update on those, and other, activities in a report that demonstrates the wide range of impacts that this dialogue has had.
- BBSRC/EPSRC response (November 2010) (PDF 96KB)
- Synthetic biology dialogue impacts (May 2013) (PDF 221KB)
Videos from the launch event
Videos of the individual presentations from the launch event are available on the EPSRC website:
Introduction from Professor Lord Winston to the BBSRC-EPSRC Synthetic Biology Public Dialogue report followed by a presentation from Stephen Axford.
Dr Brian Johnson, Dialogue Chair. Background information on synthetic biology and the need for dialogue.
Dr Darren Bhattachary, TNS-BMRB Executive Director. The dialogue and the main findings and recommendations.
Professor David Delpy, EPSRC Chief Executive on why the Research Councils feel it is important carry out dialogues.
Professor Douglas Kell, BBSRC Chief Executive on what we are going to do next to ensure the report has influence on the Research Councils and more broadly.
Questions to the Panel at an event in London to launch the report of Synthetic Biology Public Dialogue.
Patrick Middleton, Head of Engagement
tel: 01793 413368