SRC: How to apply
Call status: Closed
Next application deadline: TBC
This call was for new School Regional Champions (SRC) to join those who are already supporting our funded researchers in their public engagement and engaging young people with science.
Following the success of previous SRC, the programme was expanded so further positions were available.
The awards provide funding to enable practising researchers to carry out public engagement activities with secondary schools or young people. Funding for 13 2-year appointments was available.
Applications are for activities that may be undertaken at any time before the end of March 2015.
This competitive award scheme is open to those:
- undertaking research on a BBSRC-funded project
- based at a BBSRC-funded institute
- collaborations between HEIs, BBSRC Institutes and Centres of strategic funding
- collaborations with community and special interest groups, with science communicators, through partnerships with learned societies, festivals, museums, libraries or interactive science centres
In these cases there must be a significant contribution from the SRC.
We also welcome applications:
- from collaborations between researchers funded by different research councils
- involving dialogue with hard-to-reach groups, such as ethnic minorities, inner city communities or those with special needs
The focus of the activity must either be directly related to the BBSRC grant referenced in the application to become a champion or relevant to BBSRC strategic priorities:
- Agriculture and food security
- Industrial biotechnology and bioenergy
- Bioscience for health
Institutions and BBSRC research centres can only have one SRC appointed.
How to apply
This call for applications is closed. The information below is for reference only.
You may need to download additional plug-ins to open this file.
Applicants should download and complete the application from. Please refer to the guidelines available in the Information Pack. The Information Pack also details documents and further information that may help you to complete your application.
- Please read the terms and conditions before completing an application
- Please ensure that proposed projects are within our remit to avoid the proposal being rejected
- Completed applications should be emailed, stating 'Application for BBSRC School Regional Champion' in the subject, to email@example.com
Applications were judged by a panel and applicants have been informed of the outcome.
Stephanie Sinclair – Project Manager, Wellcome Trust
Rachel Lambert-Forsyth – Head of Education, Society of Biology
Harriet Truscott – Communications Officer, Science and Plants for Schools (SAPS)
Patrick Middleton – Head of Engagement, Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)