SRC: How to apply
The call for applications is closed.
Next application deadline: TBC
This call was for new School Regional Champions (SRC) to join those who are already supporting our funded researchers in their public engagement and engaging young people with science. See our SRC: Background page for more information.
Following the success of previous SRC, the programme was expanded so further positions were available.
The awards provide funding to enable practising researchers to carry out public engagement activities with secondary schools or young people. Funding for 13 2-year appointments was available.
Applications are for activities that may be undertaken at any time from February 2013 to end of March 2015.
This competitive award scheme is open to those:
- Undertaking research on a BBSRC-funded project
- Based at a BBSRC-funded institute
- Collaborations between HEIs, BBSRC Institutes and Centres of strategic funding
- Collaborations with community and special interest groups, with science communicators, through partnerships with learned societies, festivals, museums, libraries or interactive science centres
In these cases there must be a significant contribution from the SRC.
We also welcome applications:
- from collaborations between researchers funded by different research councils
- involving dialogue with hard-to-reach groups, such as ethnic minorities, inner city communities or those with special needs
The focus of the activity must either be directly related to the BBSRC grant referenced in the application to become a champion or relevant to BBSRC strategic priorities:
- Food security
- Bioenergy and industrial biotechnology
- Basic bioscience underpinning health
Institutions and BBSRC research centres can only have one SRC appointed.
How to apply
This call for applications is closed. The information below is for reference only.
Applicants should download and complete the application from. Please refer to the guidelines available in the Information Pack. The Information Pack also details documents and further information that may help you to complete your application.
- Please read the terms and conditions before completing an application
- Please ensure that proposed projects are within our remit to avoid the proposal being rejected
- Completed applications should be emailed, stating 'Application for BBSRC School Regional Champion' in the subject box, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The closing date for receipt of applications was 18 January 2013, 12pm.
Applications will be judged by an independent panel and applicants will be informed of the outcome by 1 February 2013.
For queries about the programme, please contact Tristan Maclean (contact details below - if out of hours please leave a voicemail message).
Tristan Maclean, Inspiring Young Scientists Co-ordinator, Norwich Research Park
tel: 01603 450970